Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Charles Dickens!

Today, February 7th, marks what would have been Charles Dickens' 200th birthday.

http://www.dickens2012.org/


"Dickens' Dream" by Robert William Buss
(you may have seen this painting mentioned in
the 2010 film HEREAFTER)

What's your favorite Dickens' novel? I admit, I haven't read them all, but to date my favorites have been Nicholas Nickelby, Bleak House (two stories I wish to revisit soon) and of course the classic A Christmas Carol.  I played Mrs. Cratchit in my 4th grade class holiday play so I have a special attachment to that story :-D. Though I gotta say, in my opinion, the film adaptations have been done to death!

Dickens' work can be dense to get through at times, I struggled through parts of Hard Times but still enjoyed it. I appreciate Dickens today because he was one of the first authors I read that introduced me to the Victorian literature I love :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment